Sunday, July 7, 2013

Found It: Cans!

As a farmer, Grandpa was quite scrappy: waste not, want not.  He loved to organize his nails, bolts, tacks, and all other small things in old coffee cans, because, why buy an organizer that's basically the same thing?  Usually, he would then immediately forget about them and start again with more cans, filling them with whatever weird little doo-dads he ended up purchasing at an auction.  I get a wild hair about me, too, and organize ALL THE THINGS, then forget where I put them, and entropy reigns until I feel I need to dig around again for that thing I just KNOW that I have SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE.

Anyway, I found some cans on my excursion to the farm months ago and finally have a break in art-making to sort through it all, shoot some pictures, and list them in The Retro Ranch's Etsy shop.

Behold!

I love the blue and orange on this one!
 

Wish I had the lid for this, but who needs lids on a farm?
Pansies, that's who!
 

Large Mobiloil can...fancy gold for your fancy garage.
 

Fleming's was a Kansas City based coffee!
I hear it was rich in flavor.
 


The 1970s loved to put the real thing in the ads.
I find it unnecessary.
Hopefully I can send these out to folks who want to reuse some old cans for planters, pencil holders (I have one on my work desk for this purpose--bonus: it's magnetic), or their own nail/washer/bolt organizers just like Grandpa Bill.

See the whole collection here.

1 comment: