Monday, September 18, 2017

EDIT show at Wichita City Arts

I got the opportunity to create a new body of work I've been thinking about for years since finding a big stack of Wichita Eagle newspapers from 1961...you can find art supplies anywhere if you just keep your eyes open on neighborhood walks.  A year ago I participated in an art fair in Wichita and, as these things do, one thing lead to another and I have a show in the arts district there through the end of September at City Arts.

The scribble thing started when I was working on this piece and just couldn't get her hands right...
"Everything's Fine"-- found wood, vinyl, newspaper, paint
2016

After sitting on this layered scribble motif for a long time, playing around with colors, thicknesses, and cutting techniques (mostly done on the computer and cut on a vector system like my other line work), I mentally paired them with some newspapers I'd been painting and using as blotter paper.

Here are some pieces and installation shots!

"Jonathans/Thighs"-- 18 x 15 inches; newspaper, vinyl, paint

detail
"Front Page"-- 15 x 23 inches; newspaper, vinyl, paint
detail

"Petroleum News/10¢ Off"-- 23 x 15 inches; newspaper, vinyl, paint
 
detail

Installation, Balcony Gallery



Beautifully framed by friend and neighbor Lori at Hoop Dog Studio!

The show is up through next week at City Arts in Wichita, Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment