Friday, January 19, 2018

Made It: Hard-Handed, Tender-Hearted


This is the largest piece I've made to date (along with its size-twin I'll share later on), being as wide as I am tall.  I chose that length because that's what fits in my truck while still being able to shut the hatch.  The gallery I was making these for could only accommodate pieces that were 40" tall, so that gave me the limit on that side.  Conveniently, that size exactly fits between my wheel wells in the truck, so it was meant to be.

Hard-Handed, Tender-Hearted40 in tall x 66 inches wide
To begin on something this large can be intimidating.  So I just threw every color at it I already had out...that's typical of how I work.  If it's within arm's reach it's not safe.
Looking great?

Painted and sanded and painted.

Masked, painted, sanded.

Repeat!

Lower left.  You can see that pattern pressed into the paint pop up again there.
 After I got the background finished I tried out a few different approaches to adding the permanent vinyl layer.  This image is from me adding black and white orzos going from the middle out, but I decided against it and used that motif in the other large one I'll share in a coming post.
Whole thing in terrible basement lighting.
I chose to go with SO MANY pieces of simple black orzos dripping from the top.

Here's what some of the ones I've shared this week look like staged in my show tent...gives a little better idea of proportion and scale.
So much easier to set up a tent with eight pieces vs. forty-eight!  Hope I get into some shows this year...
The title of this one comes from a poem by W.H. Simpson called "John Brown."  I guess he, like I imagine many farmers and pioneers, worked hard but had a soft side.  John Brown is Kansas's favorite terrorist, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment