Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Learning to Draw II

 By April I was already feeling better about my abilities and coming to terms with my handwriting.  Age and not comparing myself to others drawing the same thing goes a long way!  I was getting used to the tools and materials and finding what I liked best.  Turns out, it was ink and detail brush.  Thank you, Rapidograph Black India and the leftovers from my Design I class at KU.

Since everything shut down in mid March, I had a lot of time to draw and listen to books while trying to keep my existential dread at bay...

pencil on painted newsprint

daffodil with ink on painted newsprint
36 x 22 inches
I think this daf looks like it just sneezed...I was playing around making my own colored ink out of acrylic paint and spray gun medium, and spending more time on each drawing. On a walk after a rain, I took pictures of a daffodil patch, and immediately came home and drew it.
field clover head; ink on painted newsprint
A little too stylized but this one got me excited regardless as I was playing with washes and layering of ink.
Rattlesnake Master
ink and paint on painted newsprint
22 x 18"
If I have a color around, I will throw it on something in lieu of washing it down the drain.  The messy background and simple drawing make me happy here.
detail

striped squill found on a hike
36 x 22"
Really going after blown up small stuff and adding color here.
surprise lily greens that look like fries
22 x 18"


I think this is birch???
ink on painted newsprint

I began making more complicated drawings, letting my maximalism show through, and thinking of these are collages of drawn pictures...this is the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment