Thursday, May 16, 2013

Made It: Green Egg Clock

Here's another custom clock...an unusual request, which I love. 

"Something off the wall...like a green egg with white & yellow yolk coming out."

I was able to play around with one of my new phone's drawing apps. (A smarty-pants phone!  Hello, 21st century!  It's a big deal for me, I'm still excited about it.)  Thanks to a long stint in a waiting room, I was able to take some time and draw up the first sketch for this idea.  But since I didn't have an egg to break open and my memory bank is full of other things, I worked off this image:
Yeah..that's an egg alright.

Here's what a little screen and a stylus will get you:
I have a Fine Arts degree, people.
I knew I'd have to hand-cut this thing to get it right, but to get a true grip on it I always have to do a little bit of actual pencil-to-paper drawing first.
A bit of an improvement over the digital rendering.
This lead to some free-styling and digging through my smallest scrap box so I could play with both opaque and translucent vinyls. 
The shells have three layers and five different vinyls; the yolk has three, and the
white is a couple layers of the same glittery transparent vinyl.
It turned out so much better than I thought!  I wanted to keep it for myself.
But, if you love something, set if free.  Plus, it's bad business practice to
take someone's money and not give them anything in return.
Add some numbers, and here's a clock that is 100% one of a kind, never to be duplicated exactly the same way, and a great addition to a cool kitchen.  Thanks, Shawna from Oklahoma, for pushing me to use brain muscles I haven't used for a while!
Order up!
Contact me anytime if you want a super weird/awesome piece of home decor made just for you!  Or, if you're cruising Etsy, I'm there, too, as always.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking me through your egg drawing process. Very interesting. And, this made me laugh! "It turned out so much better than I thought! I wanted to keep it for myself.
    But, if you love something, set if free. Plus, it's bad business practice to
    take someone's money and not give them anything in return"

    ReplyDelete