Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Uplands and Lowlands

This piece was all about layering.  I painted the background several times before even attempting to add (and subtract) vinyl pieces.

Warning, these photos are not great.  My bad.

First layer of vinyl orzos.
I painted over the first layer of orzos, peeled them off, and sanded.
I flipped it for easier application, but you get it.
I added the orzos up to about a third where I had them before, painted, peeled, and sanded.
Already looks pretty complicated.

Closer shot.
 Layer three: repeat above steps.
This is before I sanded for the last time but after I painted and peeled.

I sanded and decided I was done.
I had a little bit of an issue deciding where to add the vinyl orzos I wanted to keep because I didn't want to cover up any of the cool design of the overlapping layers.  I ended up frosting the top, basically.
Uplands and Lowlands, 36 x 24 inches, 2018
Detailzz!


I like the little bit of metal peeping out on the edges here.
The title comes from a poem by William Herbert Carruth called "Each in His Own Tongue"

(second stanza)
"A haze on the far horizon,
  The infinite, tender sky,
The ripe, rich tints of the cornfields,
  And the wild geese sailing high;
And all over upland and lowland,
  The harm of the goldenrod--
Some of us call it Autumn,
  And others call it God."

Kind of pagen-esque--I like it even better after revisiting!

Hey, thanks for reading!  More on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment