Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January is for Experimenting

Although I don't feel like I have enough time to really really experiment as much as I want with new materials and mixes of media, January gives me a few weeks of relative quiet, so I try to put some time in at the "lab."  This year I'd like to add reproductions to my repertoire. (Commonly called "prints" by the layperson--and myself until a few months ago.  There's a difference between printmaking and reproducing work that is not made by printmaking.  Okay!) My aversion of technology and spending money intersect in this endeavor, and that is why I've put it off so long.  But I'm researching local companies and will not settle for something less than perfect.  I don't want it to look like I just printed it off at home on lightweight paper.  My peeps deserve quality!

Here's a little behind the scenes...
Found lumber and a stain made of acrylic paint.

I just started painting whatever I could find so I didn't waste any stain.

I flipped over the green one since I'm just experimenting...


  And here's a little of what happened after a few hours with my scrap paper, scissors, and adhesive...
This is why I keep everything!  So I can use it.

Pulled out the old paper punches...

What's this going to be?! Not sure yet, but I'm excited to find out.

Add a little Zevon to anything and it makes me happy.

The flip side of a small block of unfinished wood.

Tiny 3 x 2" scrap of MDF left over from the table top clocks.
So...more playing around and maybe some fun stuff to come.

Meanwhile, I'm working on applying to shows and padding my inventory for the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment