Monday, August 19, 2019

Ceramics

I've been making ceramics more than other work lately.  Partly because I have a class every week and that keeps me rolling, and also because it's my hobby art (even though I am selling them occasionally) and there's no pressure.  I've been trying to take longer on my pieces, being more thoughtful and going bigger or getting more involved.  That works most of the time...but then I decide to crank them out because I get addicted.  This is a normal cycle for me.

Early 2018 I was working on these wall heads, some of which are actually currently in a show at Smalter Gallery on W 39th...

Since then I was playing around with what my class lovingly dubbed the Barnacle series...




Wide barnacle vase in progress

Finished
...and I was dyeing the clay body with mason stain...
Dyed clay body vase in progress

Finished with an ombre glaze
...and really enjoying making kinda icky blobs on the surface of my vases that look like skin tags and hairy legs...
Dyed "growths" vase.  Skin is weird!!
So that was last summer.  What happened over the winter of 2018?  Stayed tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment