Friday, April 12, 2013

Found It: Christmas Box

Inside an old envelope, that was in an old locker full of tools, that was in a falling-down shed, that is on a farm, sometimes you can find the most unusual things.  Sometimes they're just funny or sweet.  It never ceases to amaze me that the papers I find aren't just completely rotten or worm-eaten. 

So, in this envelope,


Mid-sized manila envelope.

there was a box

Cheerio cards by Cassino Studios in Salem, Mass.
And in the box was a Christmas card to my great grandparents from December 1942.

Their last name is misspelled.
I don't know who these people are, nor can I make out that last name, but they must have met them in California the summer they left to pick fruit.  Luckily, they didn't sell their farm and came back to Kansas when it became obvious that line of work wasn't profitable.
Wow, look how dressed up they got for their Xmas card picture!
I didn't know people had not-perfect handwriting back then. 
Makes me feel better about my lack of penmanship.


Both my great aunts worked for the telephone company, hence the Ma Bell swag everywhere.  Inside this envelope are some naughty jokes and cartoons that must have gone around during the Christmas party.  Too risque to share.  Honesty.

And for fun, a bunch of Christmas tags were in here, too.  Because, why not?  "The Friendship Book" is a collection of poems by various artists, maybe given as a gift at the party (my own narrative here), and there are some other poems copied into it, too, in pencil.  Kinda sweet.  Copywrite 1934 by the Cassino Co. with a pencil-written note dated 1936.



It's all jumbled together, and that's ok.  The thrill of the hunt! I'm not sure if I'll put the tags on my Etsy page or not, but I have time to think about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment